Thursday, December 10, 2009

Day 23: Unexpected help

A couple of days ago, a friend narrated a dream she had to me. After listening to it I realized that after making some changes, it can be a great script for a short film. So this morning I took some time to pen the script down. It probably had some 20 lines. That's about it. Then I realized that the script might be short but it presented huge challenges in terms of production requirements. For starters I need an old chinese rickshaw driver, a dilapidated tiny HDB flat and permission to shoot at the 80th floor of the Swissotel. None of which are easy to get, in my opinion.

Just when I was forming the conclusion that maybe we shouldn't make this film after all, a friend messaged me on GoogleTalk. We haven't really spoken for almost 6 months now but he decided to message me just then for no particular reason. After the initial 'hi's and stuff, I decided to run my requirements by him and see what he thinks. He has been in Singapore long enough to at least have an opinion about such things. After listening to me, he immediately said that he will be going down to City Hall (usual hangout place for rickshaws) soon and will approach some rickshaw drivers and try persuading them. And then he said if the driver is on board, he might be able to get the HDB flat himself. And last but not the least, he also said that his friend is the F&B manager at Swissotel and he might be able to help with the permission.

I was dumbstruck, to be honest. Totally wasn't expecting that. I was just about to give up hope without really even trying to work on any of the necessary things and here was someone who was telling me that everything can be fixed. Just like that.

Am not sure whether we will be able to pull the film off finally but it is a huge encouragement when help, or even offers of help, comes when we least expect them.

977 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment