Friday, December 18, 2009

Day 31: Aunt and her holiday

Today was so much fun! It was the start of the official "holiday time", which pretty much means that today's the day when people set off for their holidays for 2 or even 3 weeks. So the office started emptying out earlier than a usual Friday and I, who am not going on any holiday, set off to accompany my mom and aunt on their exploration around Singapore.

If you have been following this blog, you would know why I am so super excited to take my aunt around and if not, you will get some idea here. Anyway, things were as wonderful as I had expecting them to me. I had a ball of a time seeing all the excitement my aunt was going through. Here are some instances:

a) Her excitement over wearing the western outfit of jeans and top. For someone who has been wearing only Indian outfits such as sarees and salwars all her life, that's like a BIG deal!
b) This was then immediately followed by her eagerness to hear what her husband and daughters have to say, looking at her pictures in the western outfits.
c) Her marvel at Mustafa Shopping Centre - the mecca for Indian tourists in Singapore.
d) Her relief when she finally found something edible other than dosas and idlis - the IndianChinese food from Fifth Season. Till then she had formed an opinion that food here pretty much was not upto her taste.
e) And last but definitely not the least, I was very amused by what she told her hubby over the phone - "Here all the men and women are so much in love... they are always holding hands and stuff... you never did that!" (I found that incredibly cute because in Kerala, even the minutest form of public display of affection is usually absent among the married couples of my aunt's generation.)

Oh, and then her hubby, my uncle, told me (like for the umpteenth time) that I must take good care of her.

969 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment